Friday, September 24, 2010

Let's take a trip...

Last night's dinner was a little trip down to the Texas-Mexican border. I'm not really sure how authentic this menu is to this region, but it was still tasty. We had Tex-Mex Mac-n-Cheddar with beef and peppers, recipe number 6 out of Rachel Ray's 365: No Repeats cookbook and a Tex-Mex Salad I made up on my own. Sorry there won't be any pictures because the mac and cheese wasn't as pretty as it was tasty. If you've ever seen Hamburger Helper, that's pretty much what it looked like. Although, I would have to say that it was infinitely more healthy and tasty than its boxed counterpart (there are some in my family who like HH, I am not one of them).

I am really diggin' the mac and cheese recipes out of this book- there are four with the same prep and basic ingredients. First off, they are rather simple: boil some pasta, make a cheese sauce, add either a meat or a veggie and combine. No real difficulties here. But the different varieties make each one unique from the last. Three of the four I have made (although in this venture I've only technically done two) and I think that my favorite is still the Mac-n- Smoked Gouda with Cauliflower. Last night's dish would come in at a close second. Granted, last night I rushed the cheese sauce and ended up with a rather soupy mac rather than the gooey cheese that I could have gotten by taking my time, it was still well received leaving limited leftovers in the fridge.

If you tune in tomorrow, I will give you the recipe for my Tex-Mex salad... can't wait to make that beauty again!

No comments:

Post a Comment