Sunday, October 2, 2011

31 Days

October 1st marked the first day of the "31 Days... Challenge" hosted by The Nesting Place.  That means for the next 31 days, I will be talking part in this challenge.

I've been thinking a lot about this over the last couple of weeks trying to come up with something to write about for an entire month... crafting, knitting, cupcakes, cleaning, blah blah blah.  Nothing really stuck with me and I had pretty much given up on the idea.  Until I went for my run this afternoon and it finally hit me.  We've been really trying to limit our eating out lately and that would be the perfect challenge.  So for the next month, we will be eating homemade, healthy and mindful meals at home.  I hope you will join me for 31 Days at the table.

Since I am (fashionably) late to the party, it looks like I will be playing a little bit of catch-up.  But the good news is we actually ate at home last night (the bad news is I have no pictures), so here goes...

Cheesy Chicken Casserole
This is one of my husband's stand-by recipes.  He's got a couple of goodies he can pull out whenever he is responsible for dinner, and this is one of them.  It is pretty quick and would make an awesome left-over revamp if you've got all the ingredients hanging around.  It is also great for customizing with your favorite kind of meat or veg.

Ingredients...
1 box Mexican or Spanish Rice
1 jar (15oz) Tostitos nacho cheese dip (or your favorite cheese sauce)
2 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup frozen corn kernel, thawed
1 4 oz can diced green chilis (we had some from our garden that we roasted- yum)

Prepare the rice according to the package directions and preheat oven to 350*.
While the rice is cooking, dice chicken and cook over medium high heat until no longer pink.
Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Spread cooked rice in the bottom of dish.
Layer with frozen corn, chilis and chicken.
Top with the nacho cheese.
Place in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until bubbling.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment