Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 5

October 5's dinner was Meatball Soup and Pesto Pizza
I picked up Jessica Seinfeld's book, Deceptively Delicious from my local library in hopes that I could learn some tricks to get my Veggie-Phobic Tot to eat more of the good stuff.  It's all about hiding pureed veggies in different kinds of dishes.  I am not above a little bit of deception ;)
Tonight's dinner was meatballs in a tomato soup base.  The broth was made up with pureed carrots, tomatoes, garlic, onion and chicken broth.  Pretty basic and for the most part pretty good.  I think I'd make the broth again.  The meatballs had pureed sweet potatoes in them, and that made them surprisingly sweet (duh).  I think, though, I would make some changes to these.  First off, there were no real seasonings (besides from a little bit of paprika- that you couldn't taste at all) in the meatballs.  I think next time I would add something spicy, like some chili powder or a touch of cayenne, to contrast the sweet.  Ya know, sweet and spicy always goes well together.  The recipe also called for using cubed bread in the meatballs.  They did not hold up through the cooking process, and half of them ended up dissolving into the broth.  It really ended up being tomato hamburger soup with meatballs.  A little much.  I  think I would try using breadcrumbs instead in attempts to get them to hold together through the cooking.  You also added some cooked pasta to bulk up the soup.  I don't think you'd need to, the meatballs make it hearty enough. 
My side was a pesto pizza, which was of my own creation and is your recipe for today!
Pesto Pizza
Ingredients...
Pre-made Thin Crust Pizza Crust (I used Freschetta Artisan Pizza Crust- Thin)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Minced Garlic
Pre-made Pesto with Basil
Grated Parmesan cheese

Directions...
Pre-heat oven to 425*
Drizzle olive oil over pizza crust and spread with a pastry brush.
Sprinkle minced garlic on crust
Top with a couple tablespoons pre-made pesto (enough to your liking, but make sure the crust is covered).
Sprinkle parm on top of pesto
Bake until toasty and cheese is starting to brown, about 10-12 minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment